Priory Church and Ruins

Feel free to wander around the Priory Ruins and Church


At the heart of Bolton Abbey Estate lies the Priory Church and Ruins of an Augustinian Priory in its beautiful riverside setting. The land was gifted to the Augustinian canons by Alice de Rumilly in 1154. The canons lived and worshipped here until 1539 when the dissolution of the monasteries stripped the Priory of its assets. History lovers will enjoy the story of Prior Moone and how he negotiated with Cromwell to secure the nave as a place of worship for the local community and how the church continues to thrive to this day.

With seating both in and around the Priory Church, this is the perfect location to sit back, admire the view and escape the 21st Century.

Priory Church

The church guides welcome historians, schools and families.

To book your visit and a guided tour

Telephone: 01756 718009


Visit Website


Roadworks on the Estate

The B6160 from the Devonshire Arms to just south of the Village Car Park will be closed for essential drainage works on the highway from 10/09/18 – 24/09/18 (dates may be subject to change). The road is then expected to re-open on two way traffic lights for remaining work to be completed.

The Estate will be open as usual throughout the roadworks with access via Halton East (single track in places and should be driven with caution), Embsay and Eastby or further north via Burnsall.

Keep an eye on our website and social media pages for current updates or visit the highways link for information https://roadworks.org/?tm=106416724