Fly fishing for brown trout and grayling along a 5 mile stretch of the River Wharfe.
As the river flows through the Estate it is surrounded by some of the most spectacular scenery in the Yorkshire Dales. Against this beautiful backdrop the 5 mile stretch of water offers extensive opportunities for both the novice and experienced angler. The keepered fishery provides fishing for wild and stocked Brown Trout and Grayling throughout its waters. The stocked fish are sourced from our own waters and bred on via a supportive breeding programme meaning they remain sexually viable diploids and retain all their vigour and hard fighting characteristics.
Bolton Abbey is a members’ water with some limited day tickets available from 1st June onwards (max 5 per day).
Membership runs from the date of purchase for 12 months, thereby incorporating the whole of the trout and grayling season.
Our River Keeper, who has a wealth of knowledge of the river and as a former member of the Association of Advanced Professional Game Angling Instructors, is highly qualified to give advice and guidance. If you would like to contact our River Keeper, please do so via the Estate Office details below or on the Bolton Abbey Fly Fishing Facebook page.
For more information please view our FAQs or contact the Estate Office:
T: 01756 718000
Available online soon:
|Membership||Day ticket ( 1st June – 15th March )|
Estate Fishery Rules
- Daily bag limit of 2 fish, not less than 10”
- All other trout to be returned carefully to the river
- All grayling must be returned with care
- Fly fishing only with a conventional fly rod and reel
- Barbless or de-barbed hooks only
- Use of lures and reservoir flies are prohibited
- No hooks larger than a standard 12 to be used
- No tandems, doubles or trebles to be used
- Knotless nets only (by law)
- Anglers must be in possession of an environment agency licence and their season ticket/day ticket when fishing
- Returns must be carefully completed even if no fish have been taken.
- Fishing season
Trout: 25th March – 30th September
Grayling: 16th June – 15th March