Barden Tower

An imposing ruin with a long and romantic history


Barden Tower was one of six hunting lodges and the principle seat of administration for Barden hunting forest. Henry Clifford, the Shepherd Lord, rebuilt the hunting lodge in the late 15th century and made it his principle residence. In 1515 he built the Priest House next to the chapel.

Visit

Visitors are welcome to wander round the ruined tower to contemplate its rich and varied history. Download a map and make it a stop on your next walk.

The adjacent Priest House is successful restaurant and popular wedding venue.

Visit Website

Lady Anne Clifford restored Barden Tower in 1659. Surprisingly, it did not belong to her, but on her death it was returned to the rightful owners, The Earls of Cork. Sadly the building fell into decline in the late 18th century.



Roadworks on the Estate

The B6160 from the Devonshire Arms to just south of the Village Car Park will be closed for essential drainage works on the highway from 10/09/18 – 24/09/18 (dates may be subject to change). The road is then expected to re-open on two way traffic lights for remaining work to be completed.

The Estate will be open as usual throughout the roadworks with access via Halton East (single track in places and should be driven with caution), Embsay and Eastby or further north via Burnsall.

Keep an eye on our website and social media pages for current updates or visit the highways link for information https://roadworks.org/?tm=106416724